Avuton Olrich wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 4:18 PM, encoded <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> (snip)
>> If you have a few spare cycles, please clone it and give it a
>> shot.  I
>> welcome any feedback you might offer.
> Why is the music directory required, remember this isn't always
> available, and I don't know of anything this program could be doing
> which would require it (not modifying files or anything crazy like
> that).

It uses the Music Directory setting when you use the -s flag to seed
your database.  Rattlesnake tracks a number of attributes that MPD
does not, such as when each track, artist, and album were last
played.  It also needs to know which tracks are available for it to be
able to intelligently choose the next track to queue.  It is
unfortunate that Rattlesnake needs it's own database, but I highly
doubt that a patch would get accepted into MPD to track such data.

The only other alternative I could think of, would be to store all
such information within tags inside the files themselves, but that
seems awkward and overkill.  Plus, I would still have to basically
duplicate a database in order to make my calculations for which track
to queue next.

When would the music directory not be available?  Perhaps if you're
listening only to streams..?  But if you're doing that, Rattlesnake
really isn't terribly useful.

Thanks,

e.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PS- if you received this email more than once, I apologize, my email
client seems to be acting strangely...