> I don't think this database is an important feature, and it should be
> optional at compile time, so users on small servers can simply disable
> it, without any overhead.

FWIW I use mpd on a small home router/server (Asus WL-700gE, 260MHz CPU,
64MB RAM, 1TB hard drive), and I would find such a database useful.

E.g. clients can currently keep track of ratings externally, but that
means that when I move from one machine to another, those ratings are
lost (unless I'm careful to place them in a shared folder, which
requires careful configuration each time), and when I move from one
client to another again the ratings info is lost.

Note that the ratings info should be per-user since my mpd is used by
the whole family but my ratings are quite different from my wife's (and
my daughter's).

So, I'd prefer if this feature could be made to use little amouts of RAM
and prefer to keep the data on disk instead (where we can presume to
have space, hopefully).

        Stefan