Hi and Happy New Year!

MPD 0.14 has been released one week ago, and there are already 134 new
patches in the master repository.

During 0.14 development, we have formed a nice team of developers.
Welcome to the new contributors Eric Wollesen, Viliam Mateicka, Thomas
Jansen, Emanuele Giaquinta, Laszlo Ashin.  Also welcome to Sean
McNamara who has been working on new code for 0.15 since December.

The 0.14 release was a big step forward for the MPD project.  It has
taken longer than I wished, but I think it's become a good one.

In the future, we should release more often.  0.13 was released in
May 2007, 0.14 took more than 1.5 years.  I am sure we can do new 0.x
releases every 2 or 3 months.  The MPD project has gained a lot of
momentun recently, and many people care about it.

There's always the long-time goal of having a 1.0 release, but I think
we have so many ideas for new features, we won't be doing 1.0 anytime
soon.

So what about 0.15?  Extract from the current NEWS file:

- one mixer per output device (by Viliam, work in progress)
- direct playing from archives (bzip2, iso9660, zip) (also by Viliam,
  work in progress, no tag support yet)
- RVA2 tags
- improved logging, including syslog

More to come:

- gstreamer decoder plugin in development (Sean working on that, hope
  he'll upload his code to git soon, so I can merge it)
- Windows port (by Thomas and me, work in progress)

Some ideas, no developer assigned yet - volunteers?

- generic database to attach information to songs - e.g. for song
  ratings, album covers?, lyrics? - maybe SQLite or BerkeleyDB based?
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1398
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1514
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1296
- "albumartist" tag
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1399
- return all custom tags
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1716
- UPnP/DLNA server
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1924
- support for portable devices, e.g. "virtually mount" an ipod (or CD
  audio) in the directory "ipod"
- libsoup instead of libcurl (choose at compile time)
- move the decoder loop out of the decoder plugins, i.e. decode only a
  chunk at a time on the decode() method, evaluate decoder commands in
  decoder_thread.c
- merge duplicated ID3 code in some decoder plugins (mp3, mp4, ...?)
- find a way to decode mp4 with libfaad, without libmp4ff
- CUE support
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1369
- "queue support"
- range for MPD commands
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1766
- crossfading enhancements
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1515
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1617
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1839
- port to Windows (mingw32, not cygwin)
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1566
  http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=1854
- Icy stream tags

There are many many other interesting feature requests in MPD's bug
tracker.  Patches welcome!

If you don't know how to implement something, don't hesitate to ask
me.

Not all features I listed must be implemented before 0.15.  Let's see
how development goes in January/February, and freeze the code base
then, for a 0.15 release in March.