Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.. I just wrote a first cut of a MPD
output driver for Sigma Designs smp86xx SoCs - specifically Networked Media
Tank appliances. While testing today I noticed a few things that seemed like
bugs and just wanted to confirm if things are working as intended.

1) When providing 24-bit sample output - mpd really doesn't. It provides 24-bit
amplitutes that are signed extended out in 32-bit samples. Is there a way to
turn 24-bit sample packing on?

2) While I don't think it's a bug with MPD, I was curious if anyone else has
experienced issues with libmad compiled with the accuracy switch producing
horrible overdriving and clipping pops when the output is forced to 16-bit
samples? It seems fine when I repack the 24-bit output but not when I override
the output to 16-bit. This is on a MIPS 4000 w/ libmad .15.1b and a mpd update
from git current as of today.

3) I appears to me the only thing putting throttle back-pressure on the MPD
upper framework is the size of the drivers output sample buffer and any waiting
it has to do for available buffer space. This really really seems lacking.
Especially when it comes to playing streaming sources and differences in
crystals from the stream and playback device. Was just curious if this is just
where the design is at atm (and I know I should feel free to improve it!) Some
more (than a PC) advanced players often have slewable clocks and vcxos to deal
with that problem. Though Internet jitter may make clock recovery moot.

Thanks!