On 2009/03/19 04:23, a...@alanlee.org wrote:

> Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.. I just wrote a first cut of a MPD
> output driver for Sigma Designs smp86xx SoCs - specifically Networked Media
> Tank appliances. While testing today I noticed a few things that seemed like
> bugs and just wanted to confirm if things are working as intended.
>
> 1) When providing 24-bit sample output - mpd really doesn't. It
> provides 24-bit amplitutes that are signed extended out in 32-bit
> samples. Is there a way to turn 24-bit sample packing on?

No.  MPD has gained 24 bit support only recently, and very recently
also 32bit support (in 0.15~git).  If you need packed 24 bit samples,
convert them manually (the pcm_buffer library may be helpful).  We
will eliminate your code as soon as MPD's core supports that format.

> 2) While I don't think it's a bug with MPD, I was curious if anyone
> else has experienced issues with libmad compiled with the accuracy
> switch producing horrible overdriving and clipping pops when the
> output is forced to 16-bit samples? It seems fine when I repack the
> 24-bit output but not when I override the output to 16-bit. This is
> on a MIPS 4000 w/ libmad .15.1b and a mpd update from git current as
> of today.

No, havn't noticed that yet, but you might try to run the standalone
test tools in ./test/ - e.g. ./test/run_decoder to dump the raw libmad
output, and maybe write a ./test/convert program to convert that raw
24 bit output to 16 bit - then analyze the output file for problems.
Might be a bug in MPD's conversion code.

> 3) I appears to me the only thing putting throttle back-pressure on
> the MPD upper framework is the size of the drivers output sample
> buffer and any waiting it has to do for available buffer space. This
> really really seems lacking. Especially when it comes to playing
> streaming sources and differences in crystals from the stream and
> playback device. Was just curious if this is just where the design
> is at atm (and I know I should feel free to improve it!) Some more
> (than a PC) advanced players often have slewable clocks and vcxos to
> deal with that problem. Though Internet jitter may make clock
> recovery moot.

You are right, this is a shortcoming, and is something we need to
improve.  We havn't made up an idea yet, and suggestions are welcome.