On 2009/03/20 18:19, Jochen Keil <jochen.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The "clean" way to do it would be to create one commit which adds the
> > original sources, and another commit edits them and adds them to the
> > build system (Makefile.am).
> That'll be some work..

It's important to document what was written by the original author and
what was modified by you.  Media players are a dangerous area
(regarding copyright and patents), and we need to have a reliable
audit trail of everything, just in case.

> > What's this for?
> It's for the one who is interested to build the lexer/parser himself.
> You don't need it though, so leave it out if you want to. I have to
> admit that i don't know enough about automake/autoconf to add a build
> lexer/parser command or so..

If you don't manage to write it, I can help you with that (when I
return from vacation).

> > Who's the author?  Why does it include "cd.h"?  Why do we need "cd.h"
> > at all?  Looks like it's dealing with information for "compact discs",
> > but MPD doesn't handle CDs.
> The author of the original cuetools package is Svend Sorensen.
> cd.h contains the methods for accessing the struct which holds the
> information from the parsed cuesheet. Svend called that struct Cd, thus
> cd.h/.c. I have no problem with that but if you'd like a different name
> for it i can change that.. as i said i wanted to rework the api anyway.

I don't care much about the name, I was just questioning if you added
it for a good reason.

> > Don't create a separate commit for each and every source file you
> > import.  cd.h is nothing without cd.c.
> Should i add them all at once or cd.h + cd.c, cue.h + cue.c, etc.?

If you need all of them at once, import all of them (the original
sources) in one commit (without Makefile.am), with correct author
information.  Then do another commit (the "integration" commit), which
modifies them (fix warnings?  do whatever is required to get them
compiled cleanly with --enable-werror), and adds them to the
Makefile.am.  You're the author of this commit.  If you need to do API
changes, you can do it in the following commits.

> > Each commit which adds a new source must add it to Makefile.am.  Each
> > commit must not fail during build.  "make distcheck" should always
> > work, too.
> So it should be like this:
> new file (e.g. cd.c) + add to Makefile.am = one commit?

In short, yes.  See above for more detailed explanation.

> For commiting will it suffice to set user.name and user.email to Svend's
> contact information?

 git commit --author="Foo Bar <f...@bar.org>"

With stgit, you can easily change that information at any time with
"stg edit".

> Should i also add the files from cuetools i removed (and remove them
> again from git)?

No.  Import only the sources you need for your work.  If you need more
at a later time, you can make another import commit.