Hi Max,

http://musicpd.org/mantis/view.php?id=2183

>> Is there any docs on how the output mechanism works? I would be
>> interested in how the audio chunks travel among the different
>> threads at the output subsystem, but the code is quite
>> complex. Maybe I can help if i understand this one. (Only maybe
>> because my time is really limited nowadays.)
>
> Yes, I've been missing your regular contributions in the past months
> ;)
>
> Basically: the decoder thread feeds music_chunk objects into a
> music_pipe.  The player thread takes them from there, and appends them
> to the output's music_pipe instance.  The output threads now consume
> them.  When all output threads have consumed a music_chunk, it is
> freed (returned to the music_buffer).
>
> The frequent wakeups (supposedly) come from the threads waiting for
> more chunks, or waiting for enough room in the pipe, or waiting for
> free chunks in the music_buffer.  They're just using g_usleep(10ms) to
> synchronize, because I havn't had time to think about the proper
> solution yet (using GCond or struct notify).
>
> For most setups (small buffers, low latency), the
> music_pipe/chunk/buffer code is more efficient than the old method
> (fully synchronous buffer passing), but for your setup, it's worse.
> We will optimize MPD for all possible use cases.

I tried with default sized alsa buffer (period_size=1024; buffer_size=8192).
I get the same amount of wakeups caused by mpd (~950 per sec).
Only the number of interrupts changed to 50 per sec from <10.

Btw low latency can be achieved through large buffers as well; this
could be useful reading:
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html

> I believe it'll take some time to fully understand that code, so if
> you have little time, I promise to fix it this week.

Thanks for the info, I will look at that code too.

Regards,
Kodest