Hi,

Good to see the subject got your attention :). I would like to plan to
migrate the bugtracker to sourceforge, now that they support a built
in mantis bugtracker. When this project began everything was on
sourceforge, it got to the point their services were unusable due to
poor bandwidth, constant downtimes and their built in bug tracker was
deplorable.

Reasons and purpose:
The whole reason to do this is to get MPD back to a place where if the
infamous "bus" hits all the admin/developers of this project it will
still be around. Some kind of neutral ground we can rely on being
there in 10/20 years. Finally, Ted has been good to us for a good many
years, I would definitely like to thank him plenty for hosting the bug
tracker, subversion and everything else he hosted through the years
when sourceforge really sucked.

Problems:
This wouldn't be so much fun if it were not for problems, would it?
Well, problem is sourceforge does not have a way to migrate the
database at this time. It takes years upon years for sourceforge to
get around to new features, and I'm trying not to complain about it
;). I have filed a feature request to allow us to import our mantis db
to the sf.net mantis db. I don't expect it to happen for many reasons,
one of which they expect a sourceforge email for the mantis bt, which
is reasonable and cuts down on necessary resources for them.

Solution:
Here's my solution, and I'm open for any ideas others may have. I know
it's a lot of work, and some may consider it a lot to lose, but I
think this is important, so:

* I will migrate open bugs by hand. Details aren't important, but
basically when I close the open bug report on the old site I will have
a message about how to get onto the new bugtracker and all details
necessary to reclaim ownership of the open bug.

* Old bugs will stay on the old server (in a locked state, for
history's sake?) for hopefully at least a year, at which point it's
really up to Ted. Personally, I don't care about this. I know at least
one person does, but there's no reason to keep these closed bug
histories around in my opinion.

Timeline:
I want to lock the old database (for new bugs) in three months and I
would like the migration complete in six.
--
avuton