On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Max Kellermann <m...@duempel.org> wrote:
> On 2009/04/07 07:55, Avuton Olrich <avu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Good to see the subject got your attention :). I would like to plan to
>> migrate the bugtracker to sourceforge, now that they support a built
>> in mantis bugtracker. When this project began everything was on
>> sourceforge, it got to the point their services were unusable due to
>> poor bandwidth, constant downtimes and their built in bug tracker was
>> deplorable.
>>
>> Reasons and purpose:
>> The whole reason to do this is to get MPD back to a place where if the
>> infamous "bus" hits all the admin/developers of this project it will
>> still be around.
>
> Making this a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.  As soon as
> it begins to exist, you can migrate.  I don't think it's worth it at
> this point.  Migration without database import is too painful, we
> should spend that time on improving MPD instead.

There is a problem here and it's depending on too many parties to keep
this project afloat. Anyone at any time should be able to leave the
project and not create any waves, something which we've been lucky
that Ted hasn't done yet. This also includes the git server which I
luckily is automatically backed up by everyone who uses it, master
wise at least, so it's less of a concern to me until it's gone (like
this weekend). Secondly, everyone chooses their own agenda, I choose
administration, this is one thing I can clearly do for this project
that's a plus. While I don't understand caring about losing closed
bugs (this is not much unlike the svn thing, but I don't know of a
distributed bug tracker ;)) I'll consider it a veto for now, but I do
expect to revisit this; This isn't a problem /now/ but when it becomes
a problem it will be too late to properly do something about it and
there is a possibility that we'll lose open bugs as well.
--
avuton