mm..  I think the terminal is set correctly.  I have those lines in
~/.login_conf:

me:\
       :charset=iso-8859-1:\
       :lang=en_US.ISO8859-1:

and indeed an "ls" on the music directory displays the filenames with
the correct accented characters.

ncmpcpp does have a config setting file: I modified the
~/.ncmpcpp/config file changing the system_encoding as follows:

##### system encoding #####
##
## if you use encoding other than utf8, set it in
## order to handle utf8 encoded strings properly.
##
#
system_encoding = "ISO-8859-1"

But that produces no change, as if ncmpcpp is still sending UTF-8 to
the terminal...  I saw that there was a bug filed for a similar
problem last year but it was fixed in January (Mantis ID: 0001870).
Maybe the FreeBSD port still has that bug?

thanks again

--
Giuseppe Pagnoni
Dip. Scienze Biomediche