Yes, that was it; sorry I didn't mail back to the list about it.  I'd been
careless checking for installed packages, thought it was there, and moved
on.  Nothing to do with ncmpc!  (unless we think configure should give you a
louder warning if it's not going to be able to make umlauts)

Thanks,
Jeffrey