E county families come visiting, and I rather think on those dreadful
occasions you won't find me far behind you. What's the matter? You look
ill and out of spirits. Hungry? Of course you are! unpardonable of me to
have kept you waiting. This door leads somewhere, I suppose; let's try a
short cut into the house. Don't be afraid of my not keeping you company
at breakfast. I didn't eat much at the cottage; I feasted my eyes on
Miss Milroy, as the poets say. Oh, the darling! the darling! she turns
you topsy-turvy the moment you look at her. As for her father, wait till
you see his wonderful clock! It's twice the size of the famous clock at
Strasbourg, and the most tremendous striker ever heard yet in the memory
of man!" Singing the praises of his new friends in this strain at the
top of his voice, Allan hurried Midwinter along the stone passages on
the basement floor, which led, as he had rightly guessed, to a staircase
communicating with the hall. They passed the servants' offices on the
way. At the sight of the cook and the roaring fire, disclosed through
the open kitchen door, Allan's mind went off at a tangent, and Allan's
dignity scattered itself to the four winds of heaven, as usual. "Aha,
Mrs. Gripper, the

<<inline: sidling.jpg>>