Hi to all

Today Max Kellerman confirmed to me that mpd is capable of sending 24-bit audio output in true 3-byte sample format (so not the padded 4 byte samples) without the use of ALSA to do any conversions.

As far as I understand it, this native mpd-support for 3-byte samples is for the S24_3LE format.

I got his answer as a reply to my request to support true 3-byte sample output I posted on the Mantis bugtracker.

Max replied he did not find Mantis suitable to ask questions, so I still have a question remaining I wish to post to you here.

How do I configure mpd to make it send 24-bit audio as true 3-byte samples without using ALSA?

I could not find any examples on the mpd-wiki configuration page. I assume that mpd is also still capable of sending the 32-bit samples with the 24-bit audio padded with zeroes. This would mean there has to be a switch/parameter indicating that a 24-bit sample size is wanted instead of 32-bit, but I don't know which one that would be.

The audio_output section of the mpd.config now looks like this:
audio_output {
    type        "smp86xx"
    load        "/share/Apps/mpd/plugins/smp86xx_plugin.so"
    name        "My Sigma Chip"
    engine      "0"        # optional
    decoder     "1"        # optional
    ramdac      "1"        # optional
    line_count  "2048"     # optional
    fifo_us     "500000"   # optional
    hdmi        "sii9134"
}
This belongs to mpd as implemented on the PopcornHour mediaplayer with a plugin developed to send the mpd-output straight into the Sigma Design SMP86xx processor. As you can see ALSA is not used here as the output is sent directly to the processor.
This processor requires 24-bit audio to be sent in true unpacked 3 bytes per sample little endian format, as S24_3LE would be as I understand it, or in a DVD PCM 24-bit linear PCM as described here ( http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=PCM#24-Bit_PCM ) which is somewhat more difficult to implement and also limited to 96kHz sample rate.

But Max confirmed that 24-bit audio output in true 3-byte sample format is available as a native format from mpd, so that would be the best one.

So can anyone instruct me how to make mpd output 24-bit audio as true 3-byte samples without the use of ALSA?

Eagerly looking forward to your reply

-
aleg