>> I'd rather have is what the Foobar Continuator plug-in (which is hard
>> to find ) does -- which is overlap and (lightly) fade in the next
>> song at the  end of the previous song.
>> Any suggestions on how to get this behavior in MPD?
> I too dislike crossfading and I started the MixRamp project on sourceforge
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mixramp) to try to get music players to
> adopt a tagged based approach to doing intelligent transitions.

There's another take on it: I generally don't want fading and generally
like gapfree playing (I typically listen to whole albums so transitions
and gaps are a "built-in" part of the flac files), but I really would
like to add a gap between albums.  I suspect that something similar
might hold for fading, where some transitions will benefit from it while
others won't.

        Stefan