On 2011/04/19 11:43, Trevor Hemsley <trevor.hems...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I've tried 3 different clients, Lyra, mpc and MPDroid and all 3 do
> not touch the order of the playlists as returned by the server. It
> just seem to me to make more sense to fix the server to do this so
> that all clients get the fix.

It is not a "fix" because the order of playlists returned from the
server is not defined or documented.

And, besides that, your patch is broken: it ignores the configured
character set, and is not language aware.  There may be two clients at
the same time with different locales which may want a different
collation.  This is impossible to get right, simply because the server
does not know the client's locale settings.

You are trying to force that complex problem into the server, with all
its difficulties and problems.  This is really not the server's cup of
tea.

> The current implementation does not work correctly as it returns the
> playlist entries in random order as returned from teh directory on
> disk.

Please obey your vocabulary.  It does work correctly according to
protocol documentation.  What you want is a big kludge because the
client you chose to use does not sort the list.