On 2011/05/05 07:51, Demian Martin <demian...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Recently some changes were made in how the database is managed and the mpd
> -create-db function was deleted.

The option has been deprecated since MPD 0.13.  Ever since the
"update" command was added, --create-db has not been useful anymore.
It was a kludge from ancient times.

You can still simulate "--create-db" by deleting the database file,
but I do not recommend that, because rebuilding it from scratch takes
a loooong time.

> I am now having some problems with the database not clearing when
> content is removed with the command "mpc update".

Submit a bug report.

> What is the correct way to get mpd to rebuild the database or at
> least purge a lot of "stale" data?

The "update" command.  It is very quick: it does not open files that
have not been modified (time stamp).  It removes database entries of
deleted files.  And it works without restarting MPD, while playing
music.

> Also, are there recommended best practices when working with a large
> collection (6,000 to 15,000 disks)?

There is nothing special about having a large database.  There is
still the "problem" that MPD needs to have the whole database in
memory, but I have not heard of any user that memory usage is a
serious problem.  My database for 300 GB of music has 6.5 MB.