From: Max Kellermann [mailto:m...@duempel.org]
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 9:37 PM
To: Demian Martin
Cc: musicpd-dev-team@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: Database Questions

On 2011/09/09 00:06, Demian Martin <demian...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Max:
> Thanks for getting to the bottom of the 24 bit bug (3299). Will the fix go
> into 0.17 git?

Yes; if you see I didn't soon enough, type:

 git cherry-pick 5cf4ce9318acfcd3698b10e173315ad681d39560

Remember to delete that custom commit before you pull next time:

 git reset --hard origin/master

(Do this only if you did not write own commits; they will be deleted)

> Where do I look in memory to see how much space is used by a large
> collection? I'm dealing with one collection that is almost a Terabyte, but
> also has every tag as a long entry: EG. Title Rachmaninoff 3rd symphony
> second movement in b flat opus 27 performed by  . . . . etc. in just the
> track name. Would this make the system take longer to process and
navigate?
> It loads (it seems to take about 10 minutes to load from nothing) and runs
> but some commands seem a little sluggish.

MPD's search commands scale extremely bad, as they do a linear search,
no indexing (historically).  I have never heard of this being a
problem, but if it is, we could start analyzing and optimizing it.

Last week, I have started making the database pluggable, so after all
the time, we could make MPD use a "real" database eventually.

You offered me remote access to #3299 - with remote access, I could do
some profiling, here are my SSH keys:

 https://launchpad.net/~max-duempel/+sshkeys