@Jeff, Thanks for the response. I'm fairly certain that the current Ubuntu
version (v2.7) of faad supports m4a files.

Here's the info that faad to command "faad -i ~/Music/Michael\
Jackson/Thriller/04\ Thriller.m4a"

----

/home/mpd-dev/Music/Michael Jackson/Thriller/04 Thriller.m4a file info:

LC AAC    357.447 secs, 2 ch, 44100 Hz

iTunSMPB:  00000000 00000840 00000278 0000000000F0B948 00000000 00000000
00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
iTunNORM:  0000051C 00000536 00002EA3 00002C70 00051738 00051738 000074DC
00007706 00015398 00015398
title: Thriller
artist: Michael Jackson
album_artist: Michael Jackson
writer: Rod Temperton
album: Thriller
genre: Pop
track: 4
totaltracks: 9
disc: 1
totaldiscs: 1
compilation:
unknown:
date: 1982
[snip]

----

As you can see both artist and genre are showing up properly.

Could it be due to some changes in faad library implementation over time?

Kesh