On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 19:27 +0100, Max Kellermann wrote:
> On 2011/12/11 13:42, Jurgen Kramer <gtmkra...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > B. Convert the DSD data to dCS spec DSD-over-USB data in 'PCM'
> > SAMPLE_FORMAT_S32 (or SAMPLE_FORMAT_S24_P32 if needed)
>
> What's this dCS, and why do you call it PCM when all you want to do is
> circumvent the PCM part?

dCS is a high end audio company who proposed a standard for sending
native DSD data over USB (see
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/files/DSD%20over%20USB.pdf)
A very simple solution. It also works over firewire and even S/PDIF
depending on the actual implementation.

> > With this I'd like to:
> > - expand the dsdiff_decoder_plugin to output to DSD-over-USB PCM data in
> > SAMPLE_FORMAT_S32 if the user selects it in the configuration
>
> How will (fallback) conversion to PCM work, once you have converted
> everything to DSD-over-USB?
My idea was that the dsd decoder either calls dsd2pcm or the newly to
introduce dsdnative function depending on the user configuration for the
dsd decoder. [as I mentioned earlier, it would be really nice if we
could select dsd output type [native|pcm] per configured audio_output]

Jurgen