On 2012/02/04 13:54, Bobby Beever <bobby.bee...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Shouldn't all the audio_output_plugins (maybe even filters) specify if they
> are able to consume PCM and or DSD? IMO. the DSD inside PCM packing should
> take place in the output plugin not somewhere else..

I thought it is another format, just like SAMPLE_FORMAT_S24 and
SAMPLE_FORMAT_S24_P32 are distinct formats - even if it is just
another representation of the same data.

There is no need for output plugins to declare their compatibility.
The MPD core asks the output plugin to open with a certain audio
format; if the plugin does not support this format, then it will edit
the audio_format for the next best one it understands.  Then the MPD
core will convert the data automatically (more specifically: it will
ask convert_filter_plugin to do it).

If it suports DSD-inside-PCM, and gets asked to use "true" DSD, it
will just ask the MPD core to send DSD-inside-PCM instead.

I'd like to make the plugins as simple as possible.