On 2012/02/09 12:01, Bobby Beever <bobby.bee...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> What do you prefer and or propose?

I don't understand the goal of this.  First idea looks very dirty.
DSD shouldn't be a special case, it's just yet another audio format.

Replay gain cannot be applied because we don't have a software volume
implementation for DSD.

If you want bit-perfect playback, you don't want to enable replay gain
or software volume.  Since there is no DSD implementation, MPD will
fail.

> As the dsd2pcm code needs to remain state I also propose to
> implement dsd2pcm into the convert_filter_plugin. Do you agree?

Yes.  And no.  It doesn't belong in convert_filter_plugin, the call to
dsd2pcm belongs in pcm_convert.c (and its neighbors).

> Mixers/Volume control.. I think we somehow need to be able to
> disable software (maybe also hardware) volume control. Would you
> agree? I currently have no proposal other than adding enable/disable
> state code to volume.c for a clean implementation. What are your
> thoughts on this?

No, why would volume.c know or care about DSD?  It never sees any
actual audio data.  You confuse me.