GrooveBasin is an interesting idea and already looks quite smart. I would
be wary of adding library management to it though - it is the thin end of a
very thick wedge (e.g. will it correct the tags and add album art). What
you are proposing could also duplicate file management functions that may
already be present on a server (e.g. Bliss). I presume GB would have to
place the file somewhere on the local disk for MPD to find it. I would be
inclined to keep the files in that "upload" folder and ask MPD to add that
to the library... MPD will then give you lists of albums / artists for the
GB user interface (is the folder structure exposed?).  The user can then
tidy the files by hand / choosen library manager if they wish.
I keep toying with the idea of trying to add album art support to the
MPD protocol, which would make GUIs like this look more user-oriented. I
saw this on a wish-list somewhere... is there a high-level design /
thoughts on how this would be done?

Steve.