On 23 May 2012 15:48, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> Seems kind of odd to talk about integrating with shiny new Ubuntu/Unity,
>> given the whole pulseaudio deal. Unless something has changed and I didn't
>> notice, Ubuntu uses pulseaudio, which runs per-user, so you can't really
>> get mpd to work right with log in/out without jumping through some hoops.
>> (Maybe, hopefully, I've missed something?)
>
> Any pointers to a good description of the problem and the possible
> solutions/workarounds would be welcome, BTW.

I attempted to post this once already but managed to reply only to
Jeffrey (sorry)...

http://gmpc.wikia.com/wiki/MPD_INSTALL_USER_SERVICE_UBUNTU seems to be
the best way to run mpd on systems with pulseaudio. Another option is
setting up the system wide pulseaudio daemon (and it's possible to use
mpdris to control/monitor an MPD instance running remotely, which
still applies even without any hoop-jumping).

(Yet another possibility which I didn't think of before is setting up
pulseaudio cookies for the mpd user and any real users that might need
sound at the same time as mpd)

--
Matt Wheeler
m...@funkyhat.org