I currently have two outputs defined (alsa + shout). Regardless of the
various adjustments I make to the icecast config I get a 5-8 second
delay with various clients receiving the stream. This is noticeable as
the desired configuration is room to room.

I've worked with this yet sadly there is really no mpd plugin here:

http://snarfed.org/synchronizing_mp3_playback

I also thought I could manually "tune" the latency down by delaying
hardware start of play by "n" seconds waiting for the icecast server to
pickup. A nasty hack but it might work.

Any ideas?

-zeek