On 2013/01/10 13:32, Denis Krjuchkov <de...@crazydev.net> wrote:
> GLib uses different approach as you know.
>
> They provide separate APIs for dealing with sockets for Unix and
> Windows. This requires user to write several #ifdef's but makes
> things clear.
>
> Couldn't we consider similar approach?

This looks like the worst possible solution.  Sure, it reduces the
complexity of a possible libmpdclient solution, but that complexity
has not disappeared - it is just being moved (and multiplied) to every
single application.

And it doesn't even have much to do with our current problem.  Our
problem is that we didn't use the proper data type for sockets on
WIN32, and we can't fix this without modifying the ABI.  Diverting the
API (not the ABI) is just a kludge to move the responsibility to
somebody else (those who didn't make the mistake in the first place).