Hello,

It has become quite popular to implement audio players by running mpd on
small devices (e.g.: Raspberry PI). These devices often have little to no
local storage and access the audio data through the network. Currently,
this has to be done using file sharing protocols (SMB or NFS), which has
multiple disadvantages (redundant scanning of tags, possible access control
issues).

Enabling mpd to function as a MediaRenderer would be very valuable, as all
players could share the directory and data access services of the
MediaServers on the network.

Issue 1924 in the musicpd bug tracker proposes to integrate mpd in the DLNA
framework: http://bugs.musicpd.org/view.php?id=1924

I wonder if someone has begun working on this or is planning to in the near
future ? Otherwise I'd be quite willing to give it a try.

As far as I can see, the tasks involved are:

 - Selecting the most appropriate upnp library package
 - Implementing the directory part. I guess that the "experimental" Proxy
   Database plugin could be the base for this ?
 - Implementing an input plugin.

Please let me know if my working on this makes sense.

Cheers,

J.F. Dockes