Max Kellermann writes:
 > On 2013/07/22 11:26, j...@dockes.org wrote:
 > > I wonder if someone has begun working on this or is planning to in the near
 > > future ? Otherwise I'd be quite willing to give it a try.
 >
 > afaik, nobody is working on that.  I'm not, because I don't even know
 > what DLNA is.

DLNA is an additional compatibility specification over UPnP. The latter
defines a standard way for devices (Media Server, Media Player, many other
pieces of home electronics) to communicate over a network.

Mostly, all communication-capable media devices except the Apple ones use
UPnP. The Apple devices use DAAP instead, it's mostly the same function, but
implemented differently.

The idea is that multiple mpd instances on a network, could share a common
music store (UPnP MediaServer), which maintains the catalog (tag scanning
etc...) and presents the catalog and data through UPnP/DLNA. This would
probably be much better than each instance doing its scanning across a
file-sharing protocol (NFS or SMB).

There are multiple implementations of DLNA Media Servers, open source or
not. Many NAS boxes include a DLNA server. So the work here is "just" to
implement the catalog retrieving and data access parts to let MPD use
them. There are several open source libs which could provide the base layer
(UPnP is a complicated beast).

I was wondering if somebody had maybe started something because there are
already multiple entries in the issues db on the subject. But ok, good
then, I'll give it a try. Don't expect much progress in August though :)

Cheers,

jf