HI all -

I've been testing MPD with various DSD DACs lately and have come across one
issue that appears to be related to DSD support for DoP in MPD.  At the end
of DSD files, there is often a very loud "pop" (very disconcerting).  When
testing the same DAC with ASIO drivers in Windows, this does not take place.

So far, I have tested playback of two DACs in particular, the Auralic Vega
and the Mytek DSD DAC.

At this point, the Mytek DAC does not appear to be able to play DSD128 files
(although it does with the Mytek ASIO driver).  I think this is related to
the Mytek's firmware.  The Auralic DAC uses a modified XMOS USB interface
and can play both DSD64 and DSD128 files.  But there is a loud pop at the
end of DSD files with this DAC.  The Mytek also produces a pop, but nowhere
near as loud as the pop as the Vega.

Often after this pop, the Vega appears to lose sync somehow.  MPD continues
to stream to it, but there is no sound and the Vega no longer displays the
file resolution.  The solution is to re-boot the Vega and begin playback
again.

I noticed that JRiver under windows has an option to set the volume at the
end of a DSD file to zero in order to avoid clicks.  Obviously, since the
Vega does not produce this loud pop at the end of a DSD file, they have done
something in their ASIO implementation.

I'm interested to know if this issue can be addressed with MPD/ALSA or if it
is simply not yet ready for prime time where DSD playback is concerned.

Thanks for any input you might offer.

- Jim