Hi list,

I've (trivially) patched the mp4ff plugin to provide 24 bit output. Also,
libmpg123 is also capable of 24 bit output so that plugin could also be patched
as well.

Is this something that would suitable for general use? I have noticed that the
MAD plugin provides 24 bit output. Many people have 24 bit-capable DACs in
their computers these days due to the near-ubiquity of HDA audio. It's not like
those extra bits are going to be dropped on the floor on most systems. Then
again, the ability of most people to tell the difference between 16 and 24 bit
audio is probably quite small.

I just wanted to get some input on this matter and if such patches would be
warranted for inclusion in mpd.

Ian Scott