On 2013/09/12 07:37, Ian Scott <i...@polpo.org> wrote:
> I've (trivially) patched the mp4ff plugin to provide 24 bit output. Also,
> libmpg123 is also capable of 24 bit output so that plugin could also be
> patched as well.
>
> Is this something that would suitable for general use? I have noticed that
> the MAD plugin provides 24 bit output. Many people have 24 bit-capable DACs
> in their computers these days due to the near-ubiquity of HDA audio. It's not
> like those extra bits are going to be dropped on the floor on most systems.
> Then again, the ability of most people to tell the difference between 16 and
> 24 bit audio is probably quite small.

Yes, that would be interesting.

libmad provides 28 bits, so a few years ago I figured it would be
useful to drop only 4 of those instead of 12.  I'm not sure how much
that gains.  I thought it would avoid rounding errors, and I thought
it would bring a better approximation to the acoustic model
implemented by MP3.