Alastair,

This unfortunately isn't a very useful bug report:

First, you should upgrade to the latest stock Mutt, to see if the
problem exists there.  There's no sense spending time on bugs that are
already fixed.

Then, at a minimum, use muttbug to have mut generate a bug report with
your configure options etc..

More usefully, see this link:

 http://dev.mutt.org/trac/wiki/DebugTips

And send along a backtrace, and maybe even a full debug trace showing
what Mutt is doing leading up to the crash.

HTH

-=-=-=-=-