On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 10:47:42PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> The manual says:
>
> %l                                   number of lines in the message
>                                      (does not work with maildir, mh,
>                                      and possibly IMAP folders)
>
> I think that it should emphasize on the fact that this is the number
> of lines in the encoded message. For instance, 8bit and base64 can
> give significantly different results (unfortunately some mail software
> uses base64 even when 8bit would be sufficient, and this is what
> happens with some GNU mailing-list, where the users' messages are
> re-encoded in base64). Moreover, one does not have an indication on
> what encodings are used.
>
> I think that the manual should say more about these issues.
> Perhaps discourage this sequence?

Or just remove it.  If it's not accurate (or even if it is) what value
can it really provide?  Even when it *is* accurate the number of lines
the user sees depends on how they're formatted, which also depends on
things like display filters, etc.

[I'm on a kick lately to remove old code of questionable value, in the
name of reducing complexity and future maintenance cost, so... =8^)]

-=-=-=-=-