On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 12:36:37AM +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
Yes, today I pushed up the ability to select a key during account creation.
It's rather fresh but I think works okay.

Tried that and did (s)elect existing GPG key, but got "No secret key
found". Didn't dig deeper.

It's selecting a key from the keyring in $autocrypt_dir.

I also added $autocrypt_reply to turn off the "forced autocrypt" mode when
replying.  If the same key is used in both web-of-trust and autocrypt, it
may be more convenient to choose yourself when replying rather than have
autocrypt force itself on you each time.

Makes sense. Though with several accounts some (which don't have a WoT
key assigned) may be preferred using autocrypt_reply and others not, so
probably a sender address hook (reply-hook) would be appropriate. Would
that work?

Yes, crypto setting are set after the initial message editing.

Btw, how about passphrases for autocrypt keys? Recommendation is to not
have such or not ask it for every mail, but I'd not use a regular key
without passphrase for autocrypt. Is the usual PGP passphrase handling
(including timeout) also applied to autocrypt keys? Maybe I'll find some
time over the weekend to play around with things.. until then I ask
stupid questions ;-)

Autocrypt uses GPGME. I'd suspect it would honor agent configuration settings set in $autocrypt_dir, but I haven't tested it.

The docs say that "header cached messages are not re-scanned for
Autocrypt headers", however, my gut feeling is that mailboxes not yet
scanned are scanned when opening them the first time after autocrypt was
initialized, even if header caching is on.

This is likely because the changes to Mutt data structures (to add the autocrypt fields) invalidated the header cache. I didn't mention it in the docs because that would make the issue more confusing.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy