On 05-03-2020 21:28:44 -0800, David Champion wrote:
> * On 05 Mar 2020, Derek Martin wrote:
> >
> > Does it make sense that the user should need to configure this?  It
> > seems like the Mutt devs would have a much better idea what
> > constitutes an attachment (from a technical standpoint) than the
> > average user...
> >
> > Personally, I don't care about this feature TBH, but if I did, the way
> > I would expect that it worked was that Mutt provided sane defaults
> > (perhaps compiled in, or at least part of the system Muttrc), and
> > optionally, users could override those if they found it necessary.
>
> As the person who contributed this feature: that's exactly how it
> works. It's a complex feature to define, and hard-coding the defaults
> added overhead and more stuff to maintain and review. It was rather
> simpler just to parse the defaults out of a muttrc, so that's how
> we did it.
>
> If a distro removes those defaults from its Muttrc, it's breaking
> the functionality of the software and it's a bug. Simply defining
> the attachments parameters costs nothing: these are passive and not
> evaluated unless and until your index_format uses %X. So there's
> zero benefit to excluding it from the Muttrc.

Right, at this point, I wasn't aware, and surely did not expect unset
options to be *a bug*.

I guess before the Attachment patch was included, the Muttrc{,.dist}
just contained some preferences and imitations of old functionality.
In addition to that, it defines macros calling programs which probably
won't be available (urlview).
As such it was never an issue for Gentoo to leave those settings aside,
and encourage the user to setup his/her own preferences.

We can debate this, of course, but it seems easier to append the
necessary attachments settings of Muttrc.dist to the provided Muttrc
(based on mbox/maildir) and solve this "bug".
We might have to notify others, to ensure they don't produce this "bug"
either, such as https://lukeross.github.io/MuttrcBuilder.

In any case, I'll see to this for Gentoo's next release.

Thanks,
Fabian

--
Fabian Groffen