[Cc'ing Thomas and Werner since they probably have the best chance of remembering something].

There's a gitlab ticket[1] inquiring about the search strings used when searching for GPG keys. I've wondered about the behavior myself and would appreciate any information on the reasoning if you can recall it. :-)

Both the classic and GPGME code perform a strtok(" ,.:\"()<>\n") call on the email address and personal name fields and discard parts smaller than 4. So searching for john....@example.com will generate two search hints: 'john' and 'doe@example'.

Now, as I mention in the ticket, this has been the behavior for 20+
years and hasn't caused any issues that I'm aware of.  So I'm not
itching to change it.  But I would appreciate any help in explaining
it.  Perhaps it helped in searching or prevented bugs.

Thank you!

[1] https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/-/issues/354

--
Kevin J. McCarthy