On Wed, Jun 02, 2021 at 05:53:25PM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
On Mon, 31 May 2021 15:08, Kevin J. McCarthy said:

Both the classic and GPGME code perform a strtok(" ,.:\"()<>\n") call
on the email address and personal name fields and discard parts
smaller than 4.  So searching for john....@example.com will generate

I really don't know the origin.  I don't have old versions of Mutt or my
old mail archives online anymore and thus can't check easily.  I am
pretty sure it has always been there and I copied it only over to the
gpgme code.

Thank you Werner. I think the strtok() makes some sense when searching against the personal field (to allow for missing middle names or initials etc). But I can't think of any reason why this would be desirable for matching against the email address.

Since I've just released 2.1, I think now is a good time to try somewhat risky changes. I'm going to change it to directly add the email address to the hints list.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy