On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 07:15:16PM -0400, Aaron Schrab wrote:
Since updating from a build based on bcdb61560 (Add %T status format for $sort_thread_groups., 2021-08-05) to one based on 27e61da56 (Merge branch 'stable', 2021-08-24) I've been experiencing some sporadic crashes.

Unfortunately both IMAP and thread code *have* been touched recently. So it looks like I goofed something up. :-(

However, bcdb61560 isn't on master. Were you running off of my development branch before, or were you perhaps referring to 5aa75ed2?

You may also want to try enabling ASAN via something like
  export CFLAGS='-g3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fsanitize=address'
and re-configure/recompile, to see if it can give an earlier warning
about memory corruption.

For the more troublesome one I get the following backtrace. Once this comes up it will keep crashing when I attempt to change to the same folder, at least in the short term. Although if I open this folder once with the old build then switch back to the new build the problem will go away for awhile.

Are you using $imap_qresync or $imap_condstore?

The stack is in a pretty benign section, so it seems like it's a wild
pointer or something corrupting memory.

The other problem seems to occur on line 431 of thread.c:

→·  !tmp->fake_thread &&→·→·   /* don't match pseudo threads */

I usually test with $strict_threads enabled.  I'll turn that off and see
if I can trigger the problem.

--
Kevin J. McCarthy