On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 08:38:29PM -0400, Kurt Hackenberg wrote:
> Signing header fields sounds reasonable, but I don't entirely like an
> implementation that puts a copy of them in the message body, to be covered
> by GPG.  I'd prefer something more direct, that signs headers without
> copying them or modifying the message body.

This makes a lot of sense to me (assuming that this feature has
genuine practical value, of which I remain largely unconvinced).

First off:  Is there an actual RFC for the existing protected header
scheme?  If not, someone really ought to actually draft one and submit
it, so that more people than just a handful of interested users of
a small selection of specific mailer software could provide comments
on the Request For Comments...

Secondly, there is a standard mechanism for adding non-standard
headers to e-mail:  use the string "X-" before the thing, and add it
to the normal message headers.  To the extent that this feature is
useful, it would be just as useful for non-encrypted messages as for
encrypted messages.  You could do something like this:

    by the specified key)

The user could verify the signature of the signed headers, so long as
the key is available and trusted.  The mailer could display and/or
visually confirm the signed headers against the standard ones,
ignoring white-space differences, etc..

This is not very well fleshed out, but it already strikes me as better
than what Mutt currently does:

  - it does not require even having MIME parts in such a message.
  - I don't love what Mutt is currently doing--it seems it has the
    potential to break existing clients which are not expecting
    message headers in the MIME header blocks.  A well-behaved client
    probably shouldn't break, but as we all know, not all software is
    well-behaved.  All mailers are expected to accept/ignore X-*
    headers.

Also FYI, I removed the neo-mutt list from this post because I'm not a
member and I don't cross-post; and also you probably don't need to
include Werner separately, he's a longstanding member of this list. :)

-=-=-=-=-