Hi Derek,

On Fri, Apr 19, 2024 at 03:17:17PM -0400, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 08:38:29PM -0400, Kurt Hackenberg wrote:
> > Signing header fields sounds reasonable, but I don't entirely like an
> > implementation that puts a copy of them in the message body, to be covered
> > by GPG.  I'd prefer something more direct, that signs headers without
> > copying them or modifying the message body.
>
> This makes a lot of sense to me (assuming that this feature has
> genuine practical value, of which I remain largely unconvinced).
>
> First off:  Is there an actual RFC for the existing protected header
> scheme?

I don't think so.  It's being considered for a standard, though.  Will
posted a link in this thread:
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-header-protection/>

>  If not, someone really ought to actually draft one and submit
> it, so that more people than just a handful of interested users of
> a small selection of specific mailer software could provide comments
> on the Request For Comments...
>
> Secondly, there is a standard mechanism for adding non-standard
> headers to e-mail:  use the string "X-" before the thing, and add it
> to the normal message headers.

Not standard anymore.  Talking of RFCs...  See
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6648>.  The title of which is:

           Deprecating the "X-" Prefix and Similar Constructs
                        in Application Protocols

> To the extent that this feature is
> useful, it would be just as useful for non-encrypted messages as for
> encrypted messages.  You could do something like this:

>     by the specified key)
>
> The user could verify the signature of the signed headers, so long as
> the key is available and trusted.  The mailer could display and/or
> visually confirm the signed headers against the standard ones,
> ignoring white-space differences, etc..
>
> This is not very well fleshed out, but it already strikes me as better
> than what Mutt currently does:
>
>   - it does not require even having MIME parts in such a message.

<https://www.gnupg.org/faq/gnupg-faq.html#use_pgpmime>

I think these days MIME is not so frowned upon as it once was.  But you
have a point.  patatt(5) actually implements an idea like yours for
signing patches including header fields, precisely for avoiding MIME.

>   - I don't love what Mutt is currently doing--it seems it has the
>     potential to break existing clients which are not expecting
>     message headers in the MIME header blocks.  A well-behaved client
>     probably shouldn't break, but as we all know, not all software is
>     well-behaved.  All mailers are expected to accept/ignore X-*
>     headers.
>
> Also FYI, I removed the neo-mutt list from this post because I'm not a
> member and I don't cross-post; and also you probably don't need to
> include Werner separately, he's a longstanding member of this list. :)

Considering that this is a discussion for a patch set proposed to both
projects, I think cross-posting is fine, but okay.  I'll manually tell
later neomutt(1) developers about anything interesting.

Have a lovely night!
Alex

--
<https://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>