On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 05:42:06PM -0800, Joe Rhett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 09:47:49PM -0800, Daniel Eisenbud wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 09:34:52PM -0800, Joe Rhett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Ah.. so should every user get put in here? Should sendmail be stopped and
> > > started every time a change of this sort needs to be made?
> > >
> > > Maybe instead of appropriate file rights, everyone should have the root
> > > password? It gets the job done rather well, it seems.
>
> > This is silly.  It's trivial to set sendmail up so it refers to a file
> > consisting of the list of trusted users, so there's no need to put an
> > arbitrary number of users in /etc/sendmail.cf, nor to restart sendmail
> > upon updating it.  If one wants to let a lot of users do this, one will
>
> You're making my point for me. If you put the users in /etc/mail/sendmail.ct,
> you'll have to restart sendmail to get it to reread the file. If you put
> them in genericstable.db(m), then it will work automatically.

OK, I did not know this.  This does make your method sound better, if
one is doing this for a lot of users.

> Also, trusted users do get more than just the lack of warning message.

Like what?  I'm not disagreeing with you, but I couldn't find mention of
any other effect in the documentation of sendmail (8.8.8 in this case.)

> Genericstable solves the real problem.

OK, fine.  I'm sure your solution is a perfectly good one, too, and I
have no interest in arguing about this anymore.

-Daniel

--
Daniel Eisenbud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]