On Sat, Mar 13, 1999, john manoogian III ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said:

| how can i have a send-hook -like function that will be called *after*
| i compose a message? i want to post-process a message after i compose
| it, but i couldn't find a function to do it, since send-hook happens
| before you compose the body. this would be analogous to a sending
| filter in pine, eg. the way pine handles pgp.

What I do is to change the $sendmail vars to point to a shell script,
which does the post-processing I want, and then itself invokes the
sendmail(8) program.

Eg, in my .muttrc I have:

 set sendmail="sendmail.startup -t -oi -oem"
 set sendmail_bounce="sendmail.startup -oi -oem"

and sendmail.startup looks something like:

 #!/bin/sh
 #

 tfile1="/tmp/foo$$.1"
 tfile2="/tmp/foo$$.2"

 sendmail="/usr/lib/sendmail"

 #  Make a copy of the email from stdin, for grep'ing and sed'ing, or
 #  whatever ...
 #
 touch      $tfile1 $tfile2  # ensure that the temp
 chmod 0600 $tfile1 $tfile2  # files are private
 cat       >$tfile1

 ##
 ##  Post-process the outbound message ($tfile1) here; the result should
 ##  end up in $tfile2.
 ##

 #  And send the message off ...
 #
 cat $tfile2 | $sendmail "$@"

 rm  $tfile1 $tfile2

 exit
 #

It would be nice if mutt had a *real* send-hook (in addition to the
existing ill-named form), which could be specified on a per-message
basis, but I haven't implemented such a thing, since the post-processing
that I do is relatively limited, and easy enough to fob off to the
script.

Perhaps such a strategy can be adapted to do what you want, without
too much difficulty ... perhaps not ...

/kim