Rejo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So the mailer will send the a/n characters as To: and these Bcc
> addresses as RCPT TO when communicating with the mail server (like you
> can do by hand when telnetting to port 25)?

Right.

> In what RFC is this mentioned?

I found this in RFC-822:

     6.2.6.  MULTIPLE MAILBOXES

        An individual may have several mailboxes and wish  to  receive
        mail  at  whatever  mailbox  is  convenient  for the sender to
        access.  This standard does not provide a means of  specifying
        "any member of" a list of mailboxes.

        A set of individuals may wish to receive mail as a single unit
        (i.e.,  a  distribution  list).  The <group> construct permits
        specification of such a list.  Recipient mailboxes are  speci-
        fied  within  the  bracketed  part (":" - ";").  A copy of the
        transmitted message is to be  sent  to  each  mailbox  listed.
        This  standard  does  not  permit  recursive  specification of
        groups within groups.

        While a list must be named, it is not required that  the  con-
        tents  of  the  list be included.  In this case, the <address>
        serves only as an indication of group distribution  and  would
        appear in the form:

                                    name:;

        Some mail  services  may  provide  a  group-list  distribution
        facility,  accepting  a single mailbox reference, expanding it
        to the full distribution list, and relaying the  mail  to  the
        list's  members.   This standard provides no additional syntax
        for indicating such a  service.   Using  the  <group>  address
        alternative,  while listing one mailbox in it, can mean either
        that the mailbox reference will be expanded to a list or  that
        there is a group with one member.

Apparently we are making use of the "serves as an indication of group
distribution" portion of this RFC.

--
David DeSimone   | "The doctrine of human equality reposes on this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  that there is no man really clever who has not