On Fri, Apr 16, 1999 at 12:54:34PM -0500, David DeSimone wrote:
> David Shaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > There is a way, though it's a bit odd.  The trick is to make a FIFO (a la
> > "named pipe").
>
> That works, but it doesn't meet the stated requirements, because you'd
> have to remember to delete the file that was created.  He said he was
> trying not to have to do that (though it doesn't seem that hard to
> me...).  :)

He didn't want a temporary file for each attachment.  One FIFO can be all
of his attachments, so he doesn't have to delete it.  It uses no space on
the disk (aside from the housekeeping information) and may as well just
sit around.

> The biggest problem that I see is that Mutt uses the name of the file to
> determine the MIME type of the attachment.  Without a filename, Mutt
> won't know what type to assign the attachment.  Using a named pipe is a
> nice trick to give the attachment a filename, but having to write the
> pipe several times in order to meet Mutt's habit of re-reading it
> several times is just a bit too weird; seems like it's easier to just go
> ahead and write the file, call Mutt, and then delete it.

That's what I'd do too, but he didn't want a temporary file.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/