Mark:

I connect to my Linux box from home with Data Fellow's SSH2 client for
Win9x, and it too has an option to display ANSI colors.  I also had
trouble displaying color Mutt, until I tried this:

Once you connect, try

TERM=rxvt
export TERM

mutt

You might get a few characters displaying oddly (such as the thread
indicators), but colors come through well (at least for me).

If it works for you, you can set add these lines to your .bashrc or
/etc/profile, etcetera.  It will detect when you're connecting on a
pseudo-tty, and adjust the terminal type accordingly.  Your mileage
may vary.

V_TERMINAL=`tty`

case "$V_TERMINAL" in
         /dev/ttyp*) TERM="rxvt";;