1999-05-20-19:31:49 David DeSimone:
>     2.  Maildir
>       A directory containing three subdirectories, new, cur, and tmp.
>       If it does not contain those directories (and only those), then
>       it is not a maildir.

I just re-read the maildir format spec at [1]; unless something else specifies
this, that constraint "(and only those)" does not apply.

I've enjoyed combining the Maildir containing the correspondence for a project
with the top of the directory heirarchy containing the project itself, where
there were a lot of other subdirectories under my Maildir besides tmp, new,
and cur. Worked fine. Of course, that doesn't mean it's standard-conforming
behavior; it was the longest kind of time before I learned that messages in
Maildirs weren't supposed to start with "From " lines, since the procmail hack
I was using initially added them. Mutt is _way_ tolerant. Oh, and the spec at
[1] actually mandates the exact time.pid.hostname format for filenames, but at
least with mutt you can use _anything_. So the fact that it works with mutt
doesn't necessarily make it legal, but in this case I do believe having extra
cruft lying about is not prohibited by the spec. And further, the spec seems
to hint that it might be cool to have files with names starting with "."
littering the tmp/ and new/ subdirs.

-Bennett

[1] <URL:http://www.qmail.org/qmail-manual-html/man5/maildir.html>