On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 09:21:39PM -0500, phuzz phactor wrote:

> would someone be kind enough to explain how I use filters with mutt?
> i'm trying to sort my mail into different folders based on different

You use filters (and from reading your previous post, I gather you mean
procmail, and that you also have some confusion as to what does what)
just like you would with any other MUA.

Now, as I mentioned, your previous post to mutt-users indicates some
confusion (you mentioned Mutt not using procmail as its MDA, but instead
doing it itself) as to just how e-mail works, so here's some general
background (gurus note---if I've made any errors here, please do correct
me...but try to be nice about it[1]):

First, you have the MTA, or Mail Transport Agent.  This is typically
sendmail, though there are several others out there.  The MTA is
responsible for transport of mail within the system and to/from other
systems.

Second, you have the MDA, or Mail Delivery Agent.  On a system without
modifications, this is usually /bin/mail.  After being touched by a
sysadmin with a clue, it's likely to be procmail.  The MDA is responsible
for local delivery of mail, i.e., taking it from the MTA and actually
storing it in the user's mailbox.

Finally, you have the MUA, or Mail User Agent.  This can be any number
of programs, but in mutt-users, it's Mutt.  Its purpose is to read and
send e-mail.  It reads e-mail from an mbox file or maildir.  It sends
e-mail by handing it off to the MTA on the system.  That's basically all
it knows.  It's an MUA---it doesn't care about transport or delivery, as
those are both someone else's problem (i.e., other programs' problems).

Now, as to how you use filters, lots of others have provided links to
the procmail web page(s), etc., so that's covered.  I just wanted to
clear up the other bits.

HTH.  HAND.  TBIM....[2]

Later,
   --jim

[1] Until recently, I wouldn't have thought that last bit was needed....
    I won't mention any names, but let's just say that my last (off-list)
    followup question didn't exactly get a friendly response....  But
    then, procmail has solved that problem.  :-)

[2] Too bad it's Monday....  (I hate Mondays, but then, doesn't everyone?)

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)          |         |\      _,,,---,,_
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |  ZZZzz  /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_