> I've received an e-mail where the From: header line contains a
> quoted-printable encoded name:
>
> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22F=FCr=2C_Per=22?=
>
> [name changed, address omitted...]
>
> As you can see, this translates to:
> "Fr, Per"
>
> However, the quotes have been encoded too.
> Replying to this causes mutt (0.95.6i) to change the header into:
> "\"Fr, Per\""
>
> i.e., putting quotes around the whole name part.
>
> Question: is the encoding in the original From: header line broken?
> Is mutt's treatment of the header line broken?
> It works fine if the quotes are not encoded, e.g.,
> From: "=?iso-8859-1?Q?F=FCr=2C_Per?="

RFC 2047 says an 'encoded-word' MUST NOT appear within a
'quoted-string', as defined by RFC 822, so I suppose the quotes should
be encoded as they were in the e-mail you received.

mutt seems to think that a 'quoted-string' is an equivalent,
alternative way of presenting an 'encoded-word' and has converted the
latter to the former. I'm not sure which bit of which RFC justifies
this behaviour. Perhaps an expert can comment ...

Edmund