Fairlight [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 03:00:04PM +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt thus spoke:
> > On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 08:40:42AM -0400, Fairlight wrote:
> >
> > > There is no actual crypto shipped in mutt, so the only "problem" is RH
> > > being finicky about "i" versions on their site, from what I can see.  :/
> >
> > Nope. Even the hooks for PGP/strong crypto are illegal to export.
>
> Yet they have no problem letting people being able to run down to the local
> gun store and buying a 30-30 rifle and 1000 rounds, or the local corner and
> a vial of crack.  But oooooh...that big scary crypto...wow...watch out!
> *extreme eye rolling*

Someone *in* the US can also go get all the strong crypto they want, just
like your rifle analogy.  But they can legally neither export strong
crypto, nor export large munitions.  And of course the crack is illegal
regardless, so I'm not sure what the point is there unless you're confusing
what happens with what is legal.  I don't think your point is enforcement,
since the US govt is fighting a rather aggressive and invasive "war" on
drugs (I know -- I got stopped and searched because I "look like a
hippie").

I'm no fan of the crypto export regulations, but that's the theoretical
"consistency" of the laws.  Of course, if you're just ranting about what
you think the laws should be, then nevermind anyway. ;)

This is barely on topic... no reply needed.

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/

PGP signature