I really like the shortcut characters like !,=,>,< used to
change to specific mailboxes and I wonder if I can construct
similar shortcuts myself.

I use mutt to read my procmail log in ~/.procmail/log and my
mailing list archives in ~/slist/[listname]/archive/latest, and
it is difficult to type out these long filenames.

At the moment I have defined one-letter symbolic links like P, or
T in my home directory, but these only work from there, unlike
!,=,>,<, which I can use anywhere in my file system.

--
Greg Matheson                           Learn a second language
Chinmin College, Taiwan                 and be born again almost