J. Lasser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hmmm...  in 1.0i, if I'm in the message index, it will occasionally
> beep at me that I've got new mail in a folder, but by the time I hit a
> key, the Inc:  1 line in the status bar goes away, and if I hit
> <c>hange mailbox, it's not waiting there as the default answer.

Mutt uses the timestamps on the folders (try "ls -l <foldername" and
"ls -lu foldername" to see them) to figure out which folders have new
mail.  If the modified time ("ls -l") is later than the access time
("ls -lu"), then Mutt declares that the folder has new mail.  If the
access time changes (i.e. some process somewhere reads the file) then
Mutt declares the the mail is no longer "New" and does not show it to
you anymore.

So there is something that is changing the timestamps on your files.
Maybe you have a little program that scans your folders periodically for
information.  Maybe your folders are stored on an NFS server that
doesn't seem to know what time it is.  Maybe there's something else
wrong.  You need to do some investigation to find out!  :)

--
David DeSimone   | "The doctrine of human equality reposes on this:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |  that there is no man really clever who has not